The FSILG Facilities Assessment was initiated at the April 12, 2017 AILG Plenary at the request of Dean Suzy Nelson of the Division of Student Life. It has been subsequently been endorsed by the AILG Board as well as the AILG Facilities Committee. The purpose is "to to advance a shared understanding the needs for physical renewal of FSILGs to ensure they remain a vital and vibrant element of the MIT community".
At the April 26 evening meeting sponsored by the AILG to discuss the West Campus Village Initiative as well as at the May 31 AILG Annual Meeting, Bob Ferrara outlined the planned effort with this slide:
Coming: FSILG Facilities Assessment
- Professional facilities assessment of all FSILGs last done in 1998
- Purpose: to provide insight and rough estimates into conditions and, for some, serve as a baseline for fundraising
- Based on FSILG Strategic Plan Theme #3 work of 2014
- Planning for a summer pilot program has begun at Dean Nelson’s request
- From AILG Plenary invitation – pilot houses are DP/No. 6, Sigma Kappa, and Delta Tau Delta
- 3 firms evaluated – for work and usability of product
- Hope for a rollout in fall to rest of community
- MIT Annual Fund can support fundraising if you choose
Tom Stohlman, Bob Ferrara, and representatives of the pilot houses (DP/No. 6, Sigma Kappa, and Delta Tau Delta) were very much involved in the pilot effort over the summer. Please feel free to direct questions and comments to any of them.
At the September 20, 2017 AILG Plenary Dean Judy Robinson summarized the plans for the rollout to the rest of the FSILG community in the current academic year with these slides. Please note the commitment by MIT, the AILG, and the Alumni Association to assist FSILGs in addressing and improving facilities conditions. Also, HERE is the handout that accompanied that presentation. Please note the detailed outlined for ensuring data privacy.
Here is the current timeline:
May 15, 2017 - MIT Facilities released this RFP to prospective vendors to conduct an assessment on one of the three summer pilot houses.
May 31, 2017 - DSL, Facilities, and pilot house leaders met and selected 3 vendors for pilot assessments
August 25, 2017 - Delivery of final pilot reports.
September 5, 2017 - DSL, Facilities, and pilot house leaders met to evaluate vendor reports and performance
Mid-late October - selection of single vendor for full project
November, 2017 to April, 2018 - Facilities Assessment of FSILGs